my first year as a ux/product designer:
how I apporoach it and what I've learned.
Once I completed the rebrand, website, and app refresh for BV, I shifted to a full-time product designer. With two products and a small dev team, projects were intentianlly iterative with tight turnaround times. The work below encompasses both completed small projects (cm reviewer) and long-term projects that were meant to explore the potential future of the product.
CM Reviewer: My first project as the product designer was to re-think the interface for a website content reviewer tool. The initial tool was a Firefox plug-in. The plug-in was cumbersome and, by the time I arrived at the company, broken. With limited dev resources, we needed to find a solution that quickly hit on the MVP.
Users needed to be able to get information on the site, check out the website below the chrome, and make a decision about whether or not the content followed the rules they set for publishers. I explored ideas with a sidebar and a more email-like interface, but the first iteration landed on this: a top bar that provided clear, quick access to the needed information and actions.
While this first iteration accomplished the MVP of making it easy for our users to review websites, I knew that it was only the first step toward a future reviewer. Once we added in the idea of 'issues' that users could track, I revisted the layout to see how it could be improved. This wireframe shows how I've moved the entire user flow - information, issues, and outreach - into the reviewer. This allows users to go through more than just the review, eliminating unneccesary pages and clicks.
I learned that it's ok to push out an MVP as long as you're sure the users are getting strong benefits from what you push. Sometimes simple, clean design is the right path for clarity's sake. In the end, you can (and should) have a path for the future, allowing you to perfect the design from both UI and UX perspectives.
Paid Search Updates: In mid 2017, the company started to look into 2018 goals and recognized the opportunity to improve the company's flagship product: paid search monitoring. I was tasked with immersing myself in the paid search world, working to identify any way that we could improve the flow of the tool and any new features that could increase usefulness and engagement.
After jumping into research and working on quick napkin sketches, I moved to wireflows. I wanted to better understand how all of these ideas would play out together. We needed to identify points that we could get the biggest 'bang for our buck' and weed out unneccesary or contradictory flows and features.
After these wireflows, I moved to single page feature wireframes, ideal for soliciting feedback from inside and outside the product team. I kept these one pager wireframes as stripped down as possible to focus the feedback on the feature itself.
From there, I moved onto storyboards to increase collaboration and focus feedback. At that point, I was no longer on the project. Through the process of this project, I learned how to better manage feedback within and outside of the product team. I learned more about choosing fidelity level to focus feedback, and to better bend my process to support feedback preferences of various members on the team. In the end, it's about getting as much feedback as possible to ensure that the problem space and solutions have been completely vetted and understood.