the app redesign: 
 updating the overall look of the app's interface 
 to make the product more modern and enjoyable to use. 


After completing both the in-house rebrand and marketing website, I realized that my next project needed to bring the app up to brand standards. The app design that existed when I took the job was the same design that the company had when it started in 2008.

Because the company focused on quick iteration, I needed to scope out a design refresh that accomplished a few things: make it look more modern and bring it into the fold of the new brand. This was an important foundation for future improvements to the overall user experience, but it wasn't enough for me -- I wanted to make sure that the customer could benefit from small but meaningful usability changes.

It was important for me to find a balance between customer-facing improvements and shipping. I narrowed in on a few categories that could provide quick wins for the customer experience: table design and policy structure. My goal with these categories was to make it easier for our users to do the important work that they do every day - protecting their companies from regulatory issues and malicious affiliates. Our users are constantly scanning our app, whether it's scanning a table to identify key markers or scanning a large policy setup page to fine-tune the policies that define data collection.

Table Design: When it comes to tables, power users are comfortable with cramped and tight sets of data. Our customers are rarely power users, often spending small amounts of time here-and-there to identify actionable markers. To me, it was important to make these tables as easy to read as possible. Added whitespace via cell padding helps isolate each piece of data and makes it easier to scan across a row. Correct table alignment (string values left aligned, numbers right aligned) helped to organize the table in a way that makes it easier to scan.

Policy Setup: Policies are a key component of the tool, and are often set up by account managers. This means that users are rarely, if ever, creating a new policy. Instead, they're making tweaks to collection frequency, crawl location, and keywords. They're scanning these policy pages until they find the cateogry that they need to tweak. A card-like design helped to better-segment the various categories in a less-obtrusive way. This cleared the way for a new header hierarchy system to be that much more effective. There were plenty of other changes to the app overall, including more hierarchy work, new buttons, and improved navigation.